Bioengineering combines engineering with biological and medical sciences to better understand biological phenomena and to develop new techniques and devices. Students in Bioengineering will be prepared for professional careers regarding medical diagnostics, prosthetic devices and implants, the pharmaceutical industry, and consulting in health-related fields, as well as other positions in industry, commerce, education, and government.
Undergraduate applications and notifications of admission are handled by the University of Illinois Office of Admissions and Records. Information regarding freshman admission requirements can be found in the Apply section of the University of Illinois Admissions website.
Inter-departmental and Intercollegiate Transfer Criteria and Procedures
For students currently enrolled at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Bioengineering encourages interested outstanding undergraduate students, as measured by their high GPA, currently attending Illinois to petition to transfer into the Bioengineering major at the sophomore level. Prospective students should have earned two semesters’ of credits at the Illinois campus, having taken significant amounts of Math and Science courses and achieving outstanding grades. Required prerequisites for applying are MATH 221 and 231, CHEM 102/103 and 104/105, PHYS 211, MCB 150, and RHET 105. Students fulfilling these criteria should follow the steps below in the order shown:
- Go to 206 Engineering Hall and speak with a Dean about your intentions to transfer.
- By March 1, go to 206 Engineering Hall and obtain a petition to transfer.
- Fill out the petition to transfer, and submit it to the College of Engineering (206 Engineering Hall) by April 1 for consideration for transfer into the fall semester of the same calendar year. Also include with your petition:
- a completed portfolio (instructions will be given during your initial transfer-related meeting with the College), and
- a copy of your (unofficial) transcripts.
Petitions will be reviewed by the Department of Bioengineering, and selected students will be recommended to the College of Engineering for transfer, based on available space. NOTE: Applications are reviewed after the spring semester ends, and no early decisions will be made.
- You will be notified of the Department’s transfer decision via email after spring semester final grades have been posted. If recommended for transfer, you will meet with an advisor to develop a three-year plan for completion of the Bioengineering degree.
For more information visit:
REVISED AUGUST 2016